Radio Communication Technologies
WGD addresses research aspects focusing on the air interface for wide-area and local-area wireless communication systems, spectrum issues and other distributed resource sharing for the wireless Future Internet.
In particular, WGD covers topics such as multi-carrier air interfaces, smart antenna technologies, cooperative communications, interference management, cross-layer (PHY/MAC) design, overhead signalling and complexity issues, advanced White Space Devices (WSDs). Physical-layer security of wireless systems is also covered in this working group.
As wireless networks evolve beyond IMT-Advanced, challenging requirements resulting from the ever-decreasing cell size along with the explosive increase in the number of cells and the number of users and devices to be connected, breaking the interference barrier and maintaining the per user/node capacity will need powerful PHY/MAC cross-layer design and emphasis on the optimization of performance versus complexity/overhead trade-off. Moreover, an interactive and reliable radio resource sharing mechanism covering technical and technological aspects will need to be studied. Hence, a secure liberalized radio environment would be one of the prime targets of the wireless FI ecosystem.
It is envisaged that WGD will address the groups of research areas identified in the following subsections.
New Air Interfaces design
- Requirements, target scenarios, network and channel modelling and performance criteria for systems beyond IMT-Advanced and short-range communications
- Frequency-domain, adaptable and scalable air interface design
- Packet-based multiple access (TDMA, FDMA, SDMA, OFDMA)
- Dynamic resource allocation: Scheduling and signalling subcarrier power, time/frequency chunk allocation, and code rate for OFDMA
- Cross-layer optimization: balance against MAC/PHY separation to support a wide range of air interface alternatives
- Interference management and inter-cell coordination
- Both radio and optical air interface design.
- Single user MIMO, Multi-user MIMO, Coordinated multipoint transmission and reception (CoMP)
- Massive, distributed and network MIMO approaches
- Interference management and flexible radio resources allocation for linear capacity scaling
- Relaying and cooperative communications
- Advanced coding (Turbo, LDPC, etc) and network coding
Novel system concepts
- HetNets and Small cell networks: interference management and integration with the macro layer
- Green Radio: energy efficient PHY and MAC design
- Random versus scheduled access
- Integration of WiFi into future cellular networks
- Internet of Things enablers and machine-to-machine communications
- Cloud-based radio communication technologies and architectures
Requirements for Spectrum Management
- Business drivers for future spectrum management algorithms and techniques in the wireless Future Internet
- Technology roadmaps for spectrum management systems and regulatory constraints
- Technical, functional and regulatory requirements for enabling secure spectrum trading and liberation in the Future Internet
Spectrum management aspects in the FI era
- Optimization of cognitive management with respect to the knowledge of radio environment
- Reconfigurable protocols, and equipment of wireless FI networks in UHF and VHF (TV white space)
WGD White Papers
- “Wireless World 2020: System Concept Trends, Technology Enablers and Radio Interface Challenges” [available as outlook]
- “Small Cell Evolution for Wireless World 2020: Hotspots&Indoor improvement”
- “WWRF Wireless World 2020 Workshops: Visions for the Wireless Future”
- Dr Angeliki Alexiou, WGD chair, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr Christos Politis, WGD vice chair, (email@example.com)