The VIP Rail focuses on research that looks five to ten years ahead to meet the requirements of the railway industries based on the next generation wireless technology. It also is aimed at the identification of use cases for these industries
As the global process of developing the 5G platform is progressing at remarkable speed, both in terms of identify the market need and essential technology but also regarding the spectrum aspects, where a set of “pioneer bands” already has been adopted across Regions, a growing need is emerging to focus more closely on the Professional Sectors, in this case the national Train Service Authorities, and the potential benefits and hurdles for their future adoption of what today is known as 5G.
As train services across the world offer higher speed trains, the need for operational radio communications systems and Internet of Things (IoT) are also pushing this aim.
Security, reliability, IoT and dependability are playing a focal role in future radio communication systems for efficient train operations and safety
Furthermore, it is worth noting that the forthcoming ITU-R World Radio Conference 20191 is also requesting global input to this activity regarding choice of optimal spectrum globally or regionally.
- Identify and investigate the new advanced key applications that determine the stringent requirements to 5G for modern trains
- Study the applicability for trains of applying 5G networks to train operations
- Compare and study if and how the Time,- and Mission Critical train applications compare with requirements from other professional and land-mobile sectors, such as, inter alia, Public Safety, with the aim of the possible sharing of 5G network resources
- Study the vital coexistence aspects between the passengers Internet access platform(s) and the train operations 5G system
- Develop WWRF as a bridge between the railway industries and industry organizations such as 5GAA and the wireless standards organizations (such as 3GPP) to provide input to help prepare for standardization
- Leverage academic research to develop technologies for railways that complement developments in standards bodies.1 Agenda Item 1.11: to take necessary actions, as appropriate, to facilitate global or regional harmonized frequency bands to support railway radio communication systems between train and trackside within existing mobile service allocations, in accordance with Resolution 236 (WRC-15);
- Provide relevant input to government and railway industry to maximize the advantages of new technologies while addressing concerns with respect to security and privacy.
- Create a better understanding in the railway industry of the potential and capabilities of future wireless technologies.
- Enable the telecom and railway industry to jointly discuss the vision, usage scenarios, requirements and enabling technologies to achieve the targets of future vertical industry communications in 5G and beyond.
- Work with the global railway industry to highlight and develop opportunities enabled by 5G and beyond
o ..such as the UIC (European Union Agency for Railways) Future Radio Mobile Communications System (FRMCS) Project and other Global Initiatives
- Provide relevant and timely input to standardization process (3GPP primarily, also ITU-T and ETSI)
o In particular for the EEA/ETSI, the TC TCCE for Critical Communications matters, the TC ERM for spectrum and EMC matters, the TC RRS for Reconfigurable Radio Systems /Software Defined Radio solutions, the TC ITS for Intelligent Transport Systems, the TC SAGE and TC CYBER for security matters and the ETSI TC SES for satellite communication matters.
o Liaise where required with the regional spectrum authorities, one level under ITU-R, such as the CEPT/ECC, ATU, Arab Group, and other Regional Authorities….
o Liaise where applicable with the EU Research Framework programmes, such as Horizon 2020 and in particular the forthcoming Horizon Europe Research Framework, that right now can be inspired/contributed to by the WWRF results related to 5G
Milestones and deliverables
Outputs include white papers and technical proposals which will be submitted to the major standardization bodies of 5G, including ITU and 3GPP.
- Delivery of draft white paper
- Deliver contributions to 3GPP and other organizations
- Approval of final white paper
Invite major companies, universities, and organizations active in the area of railways, including China Mobile, Intel, Motorola, Nokia, Ericsson, and Huawei to join this working group. Invite Railway Associations
Steffen Ring, chair of the VIP
Dr. Nigel Jefferies, Chair WWRF, email@example.com