VIP WG The Connected Car
The scope of this VIA WG is the requirements of the automotive and transport industries on 5G technology, and the identification of use cases for 5G in these industries.
- Develop WWRF as a bridge between the automotive industries and the 5G standards organizations (such as 3GPP) to gather their requirements and prepare for standardization.
- Create better understanding in the automotive industries of the potential and capabilities of 5G.
- Enable the telecom and automotive industries to jointly discuss the vision, usage scenarios, requirements and enabling technologies to achieve the targets of future vertical industry communications in 5G.
- Develop use cases and technical requirements for 5G support of the connected car and associated industries
- Work with the global automotive industry to highlight and develop opportunities enabled by 5G
- Provide relevant and timely input to standardization process (3GPP primarily, also ITU-T and ETSI)
Milestones and deliverables
Outputs include white papers and technical proposals which will be submitted to the major standardization bodies of 5G, including ITU and 3GPP.
- Launch meeting in London (January 2016)DONE
- Delivery of draft white paper to WWRF36 in Beijing, May 2016
- Deliver contributions to 3GPP, March – September 2016
- Approval of final white paper at WWRF37 in Kassel, Sept 2016
The major companies, universities and organizations active in the area of V2X, including China Mobile, Intel, the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT), ITU CITS, King’s College London and Huawei have agreed to join this working group. Many telecom operators, vendors and car manufacturers have shown interests and some of them will join very soon.